So, adding this current project into “socks” would have been wrong. I was doing the beginnings of a sock in shaker knitting, and was more or less pleased with it. And then, it finally happened. I’d been fearing it on a daily basis, what with these metal needles one size to small and this soft yarn. What happened? My work slipped off. Inward curses ensued, I can tell you. I’d have made them outward, but I’m a courteous bus rider.
It was nearly impossible to re-thread my needles through all the yarn overs and slipped stitches and get them all right. It was at that point that I decided that the yarn was too soft and delicate for socks anyway. Rip!
That brings us to now. Loving my brioche mitts so much, I decided to recreate them in soft yarn and in a smaller, more feminine design for Etsy. I’m not about to attempt honeycomb brioche in the round, so this piece was knit flat, with the seam to go up the thumb. On my current mitts (more like wrist warmers, honestly,) I just left a hole when stitching it up and called it good. Not this time!
No, this time I decided to use the waste yarn method I’ve become so enamored with. But with the seam going up the middle of the thumb, how does one do this? Easy, I thought, I’ll just do half of the waste yarn and the increases on each edge.
Let it be known that this is probably a foolish attempt, and I have no idea, example, or previous experience that indicates it will work even remotely. But how better to learn? Well, I suppose there is looking it up. But I prefer trial and error and error and error and “OK, this is good enough I guess”.
On the bus yesterday, I got all the way up to the thumb where the waste yarn should go. I had no waste yarn. What to do? Well, I knew for a fact that the cuff of my right glove was separate from the rest of it, and that the yarn used to sew it on was coming out. (I don’t know why I knitted half an inch of that glove separate and then sewed in on later, I honestly don’t.) I had at previous times considered using the yarn or just removing the cuff. It was time now. Goodbye, little cuff.
Pardon the blurry image. The bus driver wouldn’t listen when I mentally projected my request to drive less erratically. But this is the image of my gloves being cannibalized. (I love that word.) You can see the strand leading off over the horizon of my knee. This yarn later served as my two half-strands of waste yarn for the thumb, as shown in the close-up:
Now, I think the increases could have been a little better. I tried to do the increases and decreases in such a way as to minimize disruption to the brioche, but it may have been better to just add slanted stockinette to the edges. I’ll probably get that sewn up tonight on the bus or at home.
We’ll see. And maybe if it’s no good, start over! I love adventures in completely off-the-cuff knitting. ( I am so sorry for that pun, I really am.)